You buy new headphones and everything is working fine until one day where you can hear music from only one side. In this post, you will learn how to fix headphones when only one side works.
Ideally, this could happen with any headphones or earphones.
Before we begin, it would be advisable to check the headphones or earphones current warranty status.
What To Do When One Side Of Headphones Is Not Working
Try adjusting the cable and see if it works properly. Before we start dismantling the whole thing, try another pair of earphones to ensure that the problem lies within the headphones or earphones.
Additionally, try restarting the device you are connecting to ensure the fault is from the headphones end.
Check the settings of the device and ensure they are not kept on mono audio.
It would be recommended to check the sound settings and keep the sound balanced between the right and left headphones.
You can check these under Sound settings from your computer.
Usually, this occurs in wired headphones or earphones when the wires have been used roughly.
Hence when you adjust the wires, you can hear music from both the ears.
Please note that fixing your headphones and earphones could affect its warranty. Hence this step would only be ideal if your headphones or earphones are not in the warranty period.
How To Fix Headphones When One Side Is Not Working (Temporary Solution)
- Connect your headphones to your phone or computer and play music.
- You will notice songs being played only from one ear. Begin moving and twisting the wires.
- While doing this, you will notice that when you bend the wire in a particular position, you will hear playback from both sides of the headphones. Hold that position and tape the wires in the position accordingly.
- That’s it and you’re good to go.
How To Fix Headphones When One Side Is Not Working (Wires Damaged Near Jack – Permanent Solution)
A damaged jack is one of the main reasons why headphones or earphones only work in one ear.
This occurs because of the rough usage and pulling of wires, which happens over time.
Most people pull off the headphones from their mobile devices by yanking out the wires, damaging the connection leading to only one side working headphones or earphones.
By using this method, you can fix headphones or earphones with damaged wires near the jack.
- Remove the plastic case around the headphone jack.
- Locate the area where the wires are broken and cut it out.
- Burn off the wire’s insulation with a match or lighter.
- Solder the wires with a soldering machine.
- Wrap the newly joined area and you’re good to go.
How To Fix Headphones When One Side Is Not Working (Shorted wire)
A shorted wire leads to headphones only working in one ear. This happens when the cables of the headphones or earphones get tangled or wrapped roughly.
With the steps mentioned below, you can fix headphones or earphones when one side is not working due to shorted wire.
- Plug your headphones and play music.
- Identify the shorted wire by bending the cable of the headphones every inch. Keep doing this till you can hear playback on both ears.
- Cut the shorted wire and discard it.
- Separate the coloured wires and copper wires since this will help you to connect them accordingly.
- Burn off the enamel from the wires by using a match or lighter.
- Connect the wires by twisting them and tape them.
- Link the wires back and ensure they do not touch the coloured wires.
- Wrap them with electrical tape and you’re good to go.
This post was an indepth tutorial on how to fix headphones when only one side works.
Let us know if this works for you in the comment section. If you have any queries about the same let us know about the same in the comment section.
Check our recent content on headphones, earphones, soundbars and speakers.
- Best Planar Magnetic Headphones
- Best Bone Conduction Headphones
- Best Bass Earbuds
- Best Wireless Headphones Under 150
- Best Headphones For Kids
- Best Headphones Under 50
- Best Earbuds Under 100
- Best Bluetooth Headphones Under 300
- Best Headphones For Classical Music
- Best Bookshelf Stereo System
- Best Lightning Headphones